I’m captivated by small online trends, like the recent wave of sharing the default apps people use every day.
It started with Hemispheric Views’ entertaining “Duel of the Defaults!” podcast episode and was further popularized by Robb Knight’s excellent initiative to collect app defaults on his website https://defaults.rknight.me/. It’s the software world’s version of sharing desk setups1, and I can’t get enough of it!
It’s nothing big, but you might discover some new apps or workflows that you haven’t heard of before. I know I did when I was reading through other people’s app defaults.
My app defaults⌗
- 📨 Mail Client: Mail.app
- 📮 Mail Server: Fastmail
- 📝 Notes: PKM: Logseq + Drafts + Notes.appp
- ✅ To-Do: Reminders.app
- 📷 iPhone Photo Shooting: Camera.app
- 🟦 Photo Management: Lightroom Classic + Photos.app
- 📆 Calendar: Calendar.app
- 📁 Cloud File Storage: iCloud Drive
- 📖 RSS: Readwise
- 🙍🏻♂️ Contacts: Contacts.app
- 🌐 Browser: Arc
- 💬 Chat: iMessage
- 🔖 Bookmarks: I don’t!
- 📑 Read It Later: Readwise
- 📜 Word Processing: Markdown
- 📈 Spreadsheets: Google Sheets
- 📊 Presentations: Keynote
- 🛒 Shopping Lists: Reminders.app
- 🍴 Meal Planning: I don’t!
- 💰 Budgeting and Personal Finance: 🇵🇱MyFund + Google Sheets
- 📰 News: I rather don’t!, if something is important I’ll hear about it
- 🎵 Music: Apple Music
- 🎤 Podcasts: Overcast
- 🔐 Password Management: 1Password
If that’s not enough, you can check out my /uses page for more details about the software I use.